Re: AW: DBpedia 3.2 release, including DBpedia Ontology and RDF links to Freebase

Agreed, but I would like to address one point.

On 17/11/2008 23:31, "Chris Bizer" <chris@bizer.de> wrote:

> Hi Hugh and Richard,
>
> interesting discussion indeed.

> Can anybody of the ontology folks tell me convincing use cases where the
> current range and domain restrictions are useful?
>
> (Validation does not count as WEB ontology languages are not designed for
> validation and XML schema should be used instead if tight validation is
> required).
I agree that validation is actually an input function, and would say that
the restrictions inform the acquisition process, and in fact in theory can
often be confined to that process, without needing to be reflected in the
KB.

However, the other side (publishing) also reflects the same situation.
If I am displaying some RDF from a KB, then finding out restrictions might
allow me to write different rendering code. Although some might argue it is
dangerous to assume anything.

But this is not an argument in favour of keeping the restrictions.