Re: {Disarmed} Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

On 15/05/2008 23:00, "Bernard Vatant" <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com> wrote:

> [again, crying along with Jim - no more cc's]
>
> Hugh
>
> I think the CRS approach hits a point, which I must confess I did not
> completely get when reviewing your paper a while ago for LDOW.
Such things are always the authors' fault.
> Co-reference is something outside semantics of URIs, so it might be the
> case that it has to be managed at the applicative level.
> Considering this from a semiotic viewpoint, one could say that :
>
> 1. A URI is a signifier ("signifiant")
> 2. The assertions using this URI convey the signified ("signifié") -
> what this URI means
> 3. The URI referent belongs outside the language. RDF cannot make an
> exception to this general rule.
Appealing to what is already known of the nature of language is, I think, a
good thing. We are, after all, trying to define a new language, and how it
relates to existing languages. I dare say that Wittgenstein may be relevant
here, if I could understand him - we do use the word ontology quite a lot,
after all.
I view this from a semiotic viewpoint, if I understand correctly what that
means.
I especially agree with your point 2 in particular; the assertions using the
URI convey the signified, and in fact in a world of SW agents, there is
nothing else that can be used. Of course different sources may make
different assertions (thereby potentially identifying different signifieds).
Often I will look at the assertions provided by the originator of the URI
(resolver), and use that to try to gain some unity of view of what the
signifier is.
[I am not certain I understand the "URI referent"; is it the URI as
signifier?]

> owl:sameAs semantics, with this vocabulary, is that two URIs have the
> same signified (hence certainly the same referent).
And you have to be pretty confident, such as being responsible for
generating the URIs themselves, before you can comfortably make that
statement in a global context.
> But what we are looking for in this discussion is a mechanism to handle
> similarity of the referent, which does not imply sameness of the signified.
> This cannot be achieved by adding extra assertions, since those will
> only add to the signified.
Possibly. But I can't quite see the usefulness of making a statement that 2
signifiers were the same, if I did not also intend to mean the 2 signified
things were the same.

> So maybe co-reference mechanism is to be set outside formal semantics.
I think this might be going back to the question of the metadata of an RDF
source (as my CRS data is "just" an RDF source making statements about
coreference).
So the simple co-reference mechanism can stay within the RDF, but we need to
be able to assert properties of the RDF itself. (Which might require
reflection, etc.)