RE: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

I've often wanted something short of sameAs -- some sort of qualified
equality operator, which operates on a closed set of properties.

E.g. if sameAs means (using a sparql-ish rule notation):

    construct {?s1 ?p ?o} where {?s1 owl:sameAs ?s2. ?s2 ?p ?o}

I'd like instead:

    construct {?s1 ?p ?o} where {?s1 ?eq ?s2.
           ?eq rdf:type ex:QualifiedEqualityProperty; ex:equalOver ?l.
           ?p rdfs:member ?l.
            ?s2 ?p ?o}

That way you could avoid the pitfalls and unintended consequences of
claiming identity, but still specify controlled equality over a set of
properties. There are obviously many possible variations on that scheme --
different ways you might specify the scope of the quality (e.g. could be
subprops of a particular scoped equality prop, or...).

-Geoff

  _____