Re: RDFAuth: an initial sketch

Ok so I think I am starting to understand your problem.

Knowee is playing a dual role:

  1. it is playing the role of a client in that it is fetching
information from the web ( some of which may be protected by a
mechanism that we have been calling RDFAuth, but that we have not
clearly specified yet )
  2. it is playing the role of a server of RDF, so that clients like
Beatnik ( https://sommer.dev.java.net/ ) can GET the user's foaf file
from Knowee
(as shown in the HTTP headers in my recent post http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/rdfauth_sketch_of_a_buzzword
  )

Now there is no problem with private keys when Knowee is playing role
2. At that level Knowee just needs to be able to use a public key to
decrypt a string, and as suggested in a response by Ed Davies to my
blog post, encrypt the content too. At no point is there a need for
the private key.

When Knowee is playing Role 1. then it is in the situation of a pure
client such as Beatnik. Beatnik needs to know where Romoe's private
key is, and has to be able to accept a password in order to encrypt
stuff, and decrypt responses  sent to it by other Knowee servers. Now
with Beatnik I am assuming the User (Romeo) is trusting his software
not to take the password and private key and send it off to someone
else. Your worry is the same on the server side.

Ok so at this level we both may need a protocol for communicating with
what you are calling a token server, a server we can trust to encrypt
and decrypt stuff with a password and private key. This server would
know where the private key and password are, and it would know which
applications it can trust to act on the user's (Romeo's) behalf. It
could provide a log of all the agents that had asked it to encrypt
something and when. So in this scenario Beatnik would not encrypt urls
+nonces, nor would Beatnik decrypt responses. It would always forward
this to the one, trusted, token/crypt server. Similarly with knowee:
it could call a crypt server somewhere on the web.

I can see that this may work locally, but would be a bit awkward
perhaps on a more global level, and we now have a bottleneck of a
crypt server (perhaps there are smart crypto ways to make this less of
a bottleneck when decrypting stuff).

So why not perhaps do things differently? Why not be honest?
After all if knowee is asking for something why should it pretend it
is me? Would it not be better if it had it's own private key and
password? It could then publish its public key and I could add to my
foaf file, that it is an agent acting on my behalf. It would then be
important for Server Agents acting on behalf of information publishers
(such as Juliette) to understand how to trust agents I trust.

Does this make sense?

Henry