Re: [foaf-dev] RDFAuth: an initial sketch

Just got back from the pub here (11pm), so...

On 27 Mar 2008, at 22:26, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2008, Story Henry wrote:
>> 7. Juliette uses the answer in 6 to GET the PGP key.
>>     (what to do if someone has more that one PGP key?)
>>
>> 8. Romeo's server returns the PGP key
>
> I think the critical issue to be considered in any system that uses
> PGP
> is "how do you establish the trust network?" For all I know, you're
> not
> Henry at all, you're Mallory, but you just created a key with Henry's
> name and email on. Baaaaad Mallory! (and oh, my client screamed that
> this message had an invalid signature at me).

I think this problem does not come up in this use case.
When in stage 9 Juliette's foaf server has decrypted the encrypted
string
it knows that the User Agent sending the request has access to
<http://romeo.name/#romeo>'s private key.

Now how the server comes to trust "http://romeo.name/#romeo" is a
different problem.
It could be that Romeo gave Juliette a business card with that URL on
it.
It could be that Juliette has a policy such as DIG's of trusting
friends of friends
see: http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/206
So she takes the foaf files of a few of her best friends and decides
to trust all of the people
who have a relationship to depth 3 with those people as specified by
her foaf file.

How you establish your trust network is up to you.

PGP is just very helpful in this case because it helps link the owner
of the User Agent to a foaf file.
This is what OpenID does, but it requires a lot of redirects, and a
server to process the information. PGP removes that bottleneck.
And also once it becomes widespread, it can become very useful in a
huge number of other applications.