RDF triple assertions live forever?

From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime@cpphacker.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:24:22 -0400
To: semantic-web@w3.org
CC: foaf-dev@lists.foaf-project.org
Semantic Web community:

In a discussion that has arisen recently on the foaf-dev list, somebody
pointed out that they've been told that RDF triples live forever.  That
is, once something is asserted it is considered asserted until, as it
was put, "the entropic heat death of the universe."

This seems counter-intuitive to me, as I can see plenty of data - which
might be expressed in RDF - which changes, expires, or is otherwise
not valid for perpetuity.

Can anyone here elaborate on this?  Is it really a widely held axiom
that triple assertions "live" forever?  If so, what is the
justification, and how does one deal with changing data that would
invalidate a previous assertion?

TTYL,

--
Phillip Rhodes