Re: network and host ontology

Mark Wallace wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I recently ran across "doap" and I like its goals of using RDF and
> keeping it simple. Can anyone point me to similar projects for creating
> OWL/RDF ontologies for:
>
> • network topology (nodes, switches, routers, hubs)
> • host descriptions (hosts and their operating systems, network
> interfaces, applications, services)

You might take a look at some work Graham Klyne and Brian Mathews did
during the SWAD-Europe project:

 From http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/intro.html
Workpackage 11: Distributed trust systems. See Trust website.
     * 11.1 Recommendation systems as a basis for trust on the Semantic
Web (pdfs: introduction, part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4, part 5), ( html)
     * 11.2 Framework for Security and Trust Standards: Experiments and
Implementations (pdfs: Introduction, Vocabularies and Architecture for
Implementing Trust in the Semantic Web, Using RDF for Home Network
Configuration),

The main links here would be:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/pdf/11.2b.pdf
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/trust/11.2/homenetworkconfig.html
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/trust/11.2/homenetworkaccessconfigurationcomponents.htm

This was five years ago (whee, time flies), but might be of interest still.

There was also some work on a "Wireless Ontology", which I recently
re-blogged while thinking about the role of OpenID in wireless sharing
traffic-capture portals; see http://danbri.org/words/2008/01/17/254 ah
no, I misremember it was http://danbri.org/words/2008/04/07/298 ... see
also the comments in that post:
http://downlode.org/Code/RDF/Wireless_Networks/