RE: Naive question on redirection.

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 20:17:59 +0000
To: Lee Feigenbaum <lee@thefigtrees.net>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
CC: Phil Archer <parcher@icra.org>, SWIG <semantic-web@w3.org>

> > On Jun 6, 2008, at 4:57 AM, Phil Archer wrote:
> >>
> >> Suppose I have this triple
> >>
> >> <http://example.org/> ex:colour "red"
> >>
> >> and when I dereference the URI I get a 302 redirect to
> >> http://www.example.org/home.asp.
> >>
> >> Do I know what colour http://www.example.org/home.asp is?
> >>
> >> I'm pretty sure the answer's no, but has anyone else
> >> grappled with the joys of redirects in this way?

Yes.  :)   In the AWWSW task force
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-awwsw/
I drafted some N3 rules to express the semantics formally, which I posted for discussion:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/AwwswDboothsRules
In those rules I posited that the 302 response is asserting an owl:sameAs relationship between the two resources, as shown in the rule in lines 194-208.
However, TimBL gave pushback on that rule, saying that it should be considered a "same work as" relationship:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-awwsw/2008Feb/0027.html
So although the exact semantics of a 302 is still an open question, I think there is agreement that the 302 is indicating that *some* two things are the same, whether they be the same "work" or the same "information resource", and I think that would mean that you know that http://www.example.org/home.asp is red -- at least at that moment.

David Booth