Re: Southampton Pub data as linked open data

Hi,

On 28.07.2008, at 16:23, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

>> Am I allowed to declare something as subproperty of rdfs:label?
>
> As far as I know, yes.
>
>> I'm
>> guessing this is one of those things that is allow in RDF, but not in
>> OWL DL?
>
> I would be surprised if that is the case. What makes you think so?
> Can anyone else comment on this?

I'm no expert on this, but in a paper I just read a few days ago it
says:

"Documents that attempt to redefine known vocabulary (such as those in
the OWL or RDFS specification) will be in OWL Full. Attempting to add
new terms in known namespaces (OWL, RDF, RDFS, etc.) will place the
document under OWL Full as well, even innocuous statements such as
subclassing rdf:label." [1]

> (FWIW, foaf:name is a subproperty of rdfs:label.)

Which, I guess, is one of the various reasons why FOAF is OWL Full.

Cheers,
Knud

[1] T. Wang, B. Parsia, and J. Hendler. A survey of the Web ontology
landscape. In 5th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2006),
Athens, GA, USA, pages 682–694. Springer, November 2006.

Knud Möller, MA
+353 - 91 - 495086
Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
   National University of Ireland, Galway
Institiúid Taighde na Fiontraíochta Digití
   Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh