Re: ANN: Ontology of signs

Bernard & All:

Nice to see this development of semiotics for the semantic web. I
believe semiotics is essential to provide a web of meaning as Tarski's
model theory, the foundation of RDF semantics, provides a web of truth.

Feel free to check out the ontology I make available based on Peirce's
"On a New List of Categories" which you can find here ...

http://www.rickmurphy.org/categories.owl

This ontology was derived from Peirce's semiotics circa 1867 which
evolved significantly throughout his life, but the essence of his
semiotics is contained in this early manuscript which you can find here ...

http://www.peirce.org/writings/p32.html

For instructions, load the ontology into your favorite tool (I use
Swoop), then turn on Pellet and watch the list classify as Peirce's
categories.

I truly believe semiotics represents an important contribution to the
semantic web. As explained above, Tarski provides a model theoretic
semantics of truth, semiotics provides a model theoretic semantics of
meaning.

I make this ontology available as a creative commons attribition and
welcome contributors.

BTW - Don't take all the Peirce references as a slight to the French
semiotic tradition. I am currently reading Baudrillard's "Simulacra and
Simulation" and enjoy his perspective as well !

--
Best Wishes,
Rick

blog:	http://phaneron.rickmurphy.org