Re: "In Defense of Ambiguity"

I think it all boils down to the question whether we use URIs as "words"
or as "identifiers" on the Semantic Web. Most will likely say that
clearly, they are identifiers. However, it is pretty difficult to define
and keep consensual the meaning of identifiers, because how shall we
develop and renew our shared understanding of an identifier's meaning
other than by using it and probing our understanding until it breaks
every now and then? And then we are basically using URIs as words, not
as identifiers.

One could hope that just using a higher level of abstraction will
mitigate the problem - the more general we are, the more likely it is
that subtle differences in meaning don't get relevant. However, almost
all problems that we are trying to solve by semantic technologies are
about handling extremely specific conceptual entities. We don't search
for "agents" on the Web, but for "Java programmers with 3+years
experience in Jena, and fluent in French and Mandarin".

Best

Martin

--

martin hepp, http://www.heppnetz.de