Re: what are the best primitives for RDF/OWL?

Richard H. McCullough wrote:
> No.  The idea that X and Y are equivalent, but not sameAs,
> means that the context of X and Y are different.
> I think the most meaningful cases will involve classes whose
> instances change over time.
>
> Think of it this way.  The context of X, denoted by Cx, can
> be viewed as a hierarchy, with X having a place in Cx which
> is determined by its definition.  Ditto for Cy and definition of Y.
> Now we discover that  Cx:X  equivalentClass  Cy:Y, even
> though they have different definitions.
> But they may not be equivalent tomorrow.

Mmm not sure I see the point. Hold on a sec: owl:equivalentClass can be
inferred? i.e., given two classes A and B, can I infer that A and B have
the same instances? My guess is that I can do so only if the definitions
of A and B are equivalent, because just looking at the set of instances
I know may turn out to be wrong, assuming the open world assumption
holds. If so, then the equivalentClass is not inferred from a particular
context, and cannot turn false tomorrow no matter the context.

> Or, we may discover that there are cause-effect reasons for
> the equivalence, and eventually conclude that Cx:X  sameAs  Cy:Y

if owl:equivalentClass cannot be inferred from the set of instances,
then what's the difference?

Car  owl:sameAs  Automobile is the same as Car owl:equivalentClass
Automobile, I'd say: the same cars are sold in UK, France and Italy
(aside: automobile is the translation of car in french as well, isn't
it?). In what context are their definition not the same or cover
different sets of instances?

I.