Re: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

On Jul 8, 2008, at 10:45 PM, Peter Ansell wrote:
[snip]
> It is not that well defined in the owl specs as far as I can tell.

It's very precisely defined. Whether that is well defined in your
lights I can't say :)

> At
> least not with examples of where it can be used and where it can't be
> used. One of the examples relates a football ontology to a soccer
> ontology.

Which document? Some of the documents (e.g., reference, guide)
aren't  normative.

> Does this mean that individuals defined in the soccer
> ontology will be able to be reasoned on using the football ontology as
> is? Do individuals from the soccer ontology have to have all of the
> property names that the football ontology has so that owl reasoning
> will work, in which case they would be exactly the same ontology
> effectively with only a different name for one thing.

I need a pointer before i can begin to decipher.

> Why doesn't the
> owl spec define these cases which are very clearly the first step for
> trying to reason with an externally defined object as if it were a
> locally defined one?

OWL has no distinction between external and local.

> It doesn't seem so crisp for me unfortunately
> with its implicit "there will be no problems with reasoning past this
> stage" attitude.

I don't know what you mean here.

In OWL DL, sameAs is exactly equality (in a first order logic sense).
(Well, there's a slight issue with annotations.) There's a somewhat
extended notion in OWL Full (roughly, hilog semantics).

> If people want a term that they can use without owl reasoning to
> define useful real-world-identity based mappings

sameAs isn't an identify based mapping, it is *identity*.

> between RDF
> Resources, where can they go to look?

There's definitely a gap.

> If they aren't being shown
> anywhere and no one in the any semantic group

Aren't they part of a semantic group?

> is giving them
> directions they will continue to use the one that everyone else is
> using, ie, sameAs, much to a traditionalists disgust I expect.

Meh. Your use of traditionalist in a pejorative sense isn't helpful.

First, people *do* use sameAs for the semantics (to some degree). But
often those semantics are wrong. People champion that use. I think
that's a mistake. It can seriously bite you on the butt as you add
more expressivity. If you don't ever use more expressivity it won't
(perhaps).

One can only tackle so many issues at a time. I try to give some info
so people, instead of using what I think is the wrong thing, can
figure out something better.

Cheers,
Bijan.