Re: How do you deprecate URIs? Re: OWL-DL and linked data

Fully agreed. That was indeed my main complain when summarizing the
various positions after raising the issue. Leave owl:sameAs doing its
formal identity work, and create something else for similarity
relations.

Aldo

Il giorno 08/lug/08, alle ore 17:25, Dan Brickley ha scritto:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> On 7 Jul 2008, at 22:57, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>>> I haven't been following the "deprecate URIs" thread, so forgive
>>> me if I'm being repetitious.
>>> 1. everything is contextual.  But that's no excuse for being
>>> sloppy with meanings.
>>> 2. ambiguity is not inevitable -- it is avoided by clearly
>>> identifying context.
>>> 2. OWL:SameAs (like mKR:is) means identical -- two names (aliases)
>>> which mean the same thing.  Let's not corrupt the meaning of this
>>> term.
>> +500000
>> I keep meaning to start a thread against the mapping use of sameAs.
>> It causes a lot of issues as you move to greater expressivity.
>
> There was recently an extensive thread about it, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/semantic-web/2008May/0078.html
> "Managing co-reference".
>
> I keep meaning to engage more with that, because I'm also worried
> about seeing the vividly crisp meaning of owl:sameAs weakened to
> mean "kinda sorta mostly same-ish thing, for most purposes".  The
> idea floating for an 'rdf:sameAs' also filled me with dread.
>
> Call me old fashioned, but owl:sameAs means what it means as defined
> in the OWL specs. If people are going to miss-use it, I'd rather
> they did so by admitting they're publishing possibly-false-claims,
> than by trying to stretch and bend it to have some new "as used in
> real life" vaguer meaning.
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan
>
> --
> http://danbri.org/

_________________________________

Aldo Gangemi

Senior Researcher
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technology
National Research Council (ISTC-CNR)
Via Nomentana 56, 00161, Roma, Italy
Tel: +390644161535
Fax: +390644161513