Re: ANN: myOntology Prototype Available

Hi Peter:

There are two things on that topic:

First,  myOntology relies heavily on a) bundling user engagement in one
focal point (same as Wikipedia bundles a million views, a million eyes,
and a million of small edits) instead of spreading the contribution of
human intelligence and jugment over many sites. We assume that the
definitions of elements get better - more well-thought, more reusable,
and backed up by stronger community consensus if many people use the
same site.

Note that one can define ontology "views" in myOntology, which are sets
of elements defined anywhere in the system that contain only those ones
you need for a particular purpose.

Second, myOntology uses background mechanisms that help the community to
spot redundancies, point to elements that should be consolidated or that
are contradicting etc. Such is much easier if the continuous analysis
takes place in a single system. At some point in time, we may extend it
to a P2P architecture, but for the moment, one single place seems to be
the best option.

Also, note that myOntology is a quite complex Web application that won't
install easily on a local machine.

Best
Martin

--