Re: "State of the Semantic Web" - personal opinions?

Danny, Paul and all

Hopefully useful discussion, thanks for opening it up - I think we all have
different views of what semantic web is
I take the opportunity to sell our bit of perspective

(note our forthcoming workshop below, and please let us know if someone
wants to jump on board and give us a hand here
http://sites.google.com/site/humanfactorsandsemanticweb/Home)

I am very interested in the points Paul T makes below. In a way its kinda
true, what you say, that at the moment it looks a bit silly
in another way it's kinda not true. Let me explain what I see.
What I call 'semantic web' is still a bit of a vision (TBL vision perhaps,
expanded)

That is: I can log onto the web, and using a smart and user friendly
interface and query all the data that exists online in any way I wish,
including the relationships between data sets. In addition, I can search for
qualitative/fuzzy terms.

For example: how many cities of more than 100.000 inhabitants exist in
Europe?
 (and reason with the result, for example: for each city over 100k,
calculate the ration nr of vehicles per person/CO2 density etc)
or
How many companies are hiring people with my skillset in the UK? (and
automatically parse the emails and send my cv to all)
or
where can I find the nearest (relative to) producer of xyz goods? (produce a
report ranked based on different criteria incl prices)
or even more simply
How many people on this list are intersted in UI for semweb? of these, how
many have replied to my emails, how many I have met already and
how many are looking for project partners? (sad I cant do that yet)

At the moment, the following problems exist (probably more, but for
simplicity)

1. not all data is on the web
2. not all data on the web is valid/updated
3. not all data which is valid and updated is expressed in a format that can
be intelligently queried by a browser (that I can download and run)
4. the current data representation and querying technologies (rdf. owl and
sparql) are not necessarily the most efficient way to achieve such
capabilities
5. even semantic browsers do not offer inteligent reasoning capabilities

So I see two sides to the problem -

a) one is the data representation. How can I, mere mortal 'business entity'
(presumably I hold data and publish it on the web) make my data available
and suitable for intelligent querying? Where is the website that can digest
my data and produce god valid xml/rdf (external) representation (a la calais
type, but even more usable).

Lets not forget that organizations are just coming to terms now (policy,
technology, budgeting, human resourcing etc) with putting their stuff on the
web
People are still very cautious and uncertain about web publishing,
especially when it comes to business data.

Semantic web technology is currently a geeky affair. But can you see the BI
(business intelligence) potential in there? If you had all the data
available on the web, validated and ready to be queried at your fingertips,
would you not be able to save time and money in your decision making?

b) the other is building these intuitive  intuitive/usable/robust search
interfaces which can be queried using formal, semi-formal and natural
languages
(possibly combined)

As for the requirements of the aircraft, I am not sure a semweb application
would be really  be the answer in the first place

Requirements for aircraft only minimally depend on the data available on the
open web (unless you can dynamically and selectively parse and aggregate
from the web an ontology, but thats really a bit far ahead), unless you are
thinking of deployment over intranet. Even so, I think what you are after
there is a 'knowledge engineering' function (make sure the data/process
structure is aligned and synchronised) not sure if I see that as a core
semweb functionality, although I am sure it can be used to support such a
capability.

Just another two cents (I am in the UI camp, ready to work on that front)

Paola Di Maio