From: "Michael Schneider" <schneid@fzi.de>
To: "Frank Manola" <fmanola@acm.org>
Cc: "SWIG" <semantic-web@w3.org>; "Richard H. McCullough"
<rhm@PioneerCA.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 4:57 PM
Subject: RE: Why do you want to do that?

> Hi Frank!
>
> Frank Manola wrote:
>
>>There aren't any classes in RDF (per se);  in RDFS there are classes,
>>and they can be treated as individuals (which is where we came in,
>>more or less).
>
> As a minor remark, I think it's easier to understand the situation of
> classes in RDFS, if one states the above sentence the other way around: In
> RDFS there are individuals (aka resources), and some of them can be
> treated
> as classes, namely those which happen to have a class extension associated
> with them. Analog, some individuals have a property extension associated
> with them, and are therefore properties. An individual may even act as
> both,
> a class *and* a property, if it has both a class extension and a property
> extension associated.

But in any case (as you say), all classes and
> properties are individuals, which exist in the RDFS universe, i.e. the
> domain of discourse.
***** This is an unnecessary "corruption" of the concept hierarchy.
Once again, the simple alternative is to use sets.
all class ismem ClassSet;
all property ismem PropertySet;
all individual ismem IndividualSet;
Except for the last line above,
x being a member of a set does NOT make x an individual.

In an appropriate context, you might view a property as
an individual.  For example
    John Doe has happy;
But in other contexts, it seems better to view a property
as a Class.  For example
    John Doe has gender = male;
These examples correspond to the hierarchy fragment:

begin hierarchy example;
Property;
/    i:happy;
/    gender;