Re: freebase parallax: user interface for browsing graphs of data

Sandro Hawke wrote:
>> I've been exploring some user interface ideas for browsing graphs (of
>> data in Freebase) in a user-friendly way, which I think might be
>> applicable to some of the data that you have. The screencast should explain:
>>
>>     http://mqlx.com/~david/parallax/
>>
>> Please let me know what you think!
>>
> Very nice.
>
> I haven't been following freebase/metaweb at all.  I did a little
> research after watching your presentation, but I can't quite figure out
> how relevant parallax is for the Semantic Web.  It looks to me like it
> could be turned into an open/standard web system (a Semantic Web
> Browser) but it is not one right now.  Perhaps the changes would be only
> in the backend; maybe none of the GUI code would have to change.  Have I
> understood that right?  If it's true, what's the legal status of the
> code.  Can someone else turn it into a Semantic Web browser?  And/or: do
> you have any plans to?

Hi Sandro,

Glad you like it! And it's good to hear from you... It's been a while,
since WWW 2006?

You have understood it correctly. My work here is about user interface
innovations, which can be applied to graph data models in general,
agnostic of their slight variances. Another view about relevance is here:
        http://blogs.zdnet.com/collaboration/?p=131

As for code, I built Parallax from scratch in just 6 ~ 7 weeks while
learning about Freebase. So it's not a huge endeavor as far as UI
implementation is concerned. Sometimes, the ideas are more important
than the code. :-)

Cheers,

David