Re: Why do you want to do that?

At 10:17 PM -0700 8/10/08, Richard H. McCullough wrote:
>Hi Pat
>
>1. X  sameAs  X;
>Thanks for the info. that this statement is true.
>I didn't know that OWL committed itself to that axiom.
>That means that the intermediate step
>     X  equivalentTo  X;
>has not invalidated my earlier assertion of
>     X  sameAs  X;
>
>2. Those two statements are "definitions" only in a
>very loose sense of the word.
>
>3. I disagree with your statement that
>     "There aren't two different things being merged,
>     and there aren't any contexts."
>Since mKR has contexts, and the W3C languages don't,
>I think I'm in a better position to make that judgment.

But we are talking about the W3C languages (actually the ISO as well,
since CL is an ISO standard). And in any case, we also work on
context logics, and even in those there is no need to have the
'class' and 'individual' in different contexts. In fact, they -
sorry, it - can't be, since there is only one 'thing' which is both a
class and an individual. Classes really can be individuals. Get used
to the idea. If mKR can't handle that, then its too weakly expressive
to be widely useful.

Pat