Re: Spatial datatypes and RDF/OWL

On 14 Apr 2008, at 11:43, John Goodwin wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for your reply. It would be nice to generalise this to other
> spatial datatypes like lines and polygons - but certainly would be
> non-trivial I'm sure.
>
> Has much work been done on spatial indexing of RDF?

According to google, quite a bit, but I'm not really familiar enough
with it to comment.

Generalising it should be easy enough, the only trick is that the RDF
engine needs to spot the polygon/whatever pattern at import time and
index it using a normal GIS engine. Triggers would help there, but
SPARQL is not quite that sophisticated yet.

- Steve