Re: Announcement: "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web" - W3C SWEO IG Note

Dan,

You are in the fortunate position that your vocabulary is so important
that developers will simply pre-load it to work around the inherent
slowness of the 303s. It's no accident that Tabulator and Disco come
with FOAF pre-loaded. (Same story with DC.)

It's all about latency, and each additional lookup has a negative
impact. Sure, there are technical means to work around that
(incremental rendering, HTTP pipelining etc), but let's remember that
current RDF browsers are cobbled together by people in their free time
using shoe string and duct tape, and let's not make their job more
difficult by adding additional slow-downs for no good reason.
Seriously, none of the advantages of slash URIs over hash URIs apply
in the case of publishing vocabularies.

Richard