RE: Introducing myself - SOA organised with RDF

Hi Frank,

> From: McBride, Brian <brian.mcbride@hp.com>
> [ . . . ]
> > From: Frank Carvalho
> > [ . . . ]
> > It was clear to me from the beginning that a SOA soon will turn
> > into another tower of babel, unless there's a clear strategy to
> > normalize the contents flowing on the service bus, and to
> > address the issues of versioning and development in knowledge.
>
> That is my view too - though I don't have a lot of evidence I can
> point to in support of it. This is a great opportunity for
> Semantic Web technology.

I've been calling this problem "babelization" for the past few years:
http://www.w3.org/2003/Talks/0717-semweb-dbooth/slide10-0.html
Slides 8-10 of the following presentation give a view of why I think efforts to solve it through a "common model" in XML are typically doomed:
http://dbooth.org/2007/rdf-and-soa/rdf-and-soa-slides.ppt

Those slides are derived from the following paper on RDF and SOA, which may be of interest if you haven't seen it already:
http://dbooth.org/2007/rdf-and-soa/rdf-and-soa-paper.htm
However, the slides omit an important point about the use of REST and SPARQL endpoints that is included at
http://dbooth.org/2007/rdf-and-soa/rdf-and-soa-paper.htm#sparql-endpoint

BTW, kudos on your presentation at HP Software Universe in Barcelona last November!  I'm afraid I wasn't aware of it until afterwards, when someone brought it to my attention, but I was quite impressed with your slides.  I was a little puzzled that I didn't see RDF mentioned though.  :)

FYI, I am a member of the Architecture and Shared Technology team in HP Software and was there to present a paper (with Steve Battle of HP Labs) on a SPARQL adaptor for HP's Universal CMDB product.  (Standard disclaimer: This is research and was presented for discussion only.  No product commitment is expressed or implied.)

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.