Re: What if an URI also is a URL

Am Donnerstag, den 13.09.2007, 18:54 +0200 schrieb Richard Cyganiak:
> On 13 Sep 2007, at 10:32, Reto Bachmann-Gmür wrote:
> > e.g.
> > <http://Example.org/weather/ch/Bern/archive/2007-09-13> is probably
> > not
> > identifying the same resource as <http://Example.org/weather/ch/Bern>
> > even if (today) you would get the same representation.
>
> Well, I'd say that the content provider acts against his own
> interests if he publishes the same representation at both these URIs.

We're starting to look at it from the other end now, don't we?

The one thing is: If *I* need to coin a URI for something, which one
should I choose. In this context, the question was about which URI to
choose for a site/web service like a blog: it's main page (which is an
information resource iself, so this would be ambiguous) or some
303-style URI or thelike (which turns out to feel right, but doesn't
work well with established practices).

The swiss weather-example seems different to me:
>From an author's perspective (author=the guy who first uses this URI to
identify something in the RDF he writes), it's pretty clear which one to
choose, even if both URIs should bring up the same document at a given
date.
>From a RDF-application's point of view, it's even more simple:
The URI is what the RDF data says it is. Both URI might point to the
weather in Bern, Switzerland, represented as HTML. Still, if all the RDF
data in my triple store say that <http://Example.org/weather/ch/Bern> is
a red truck and <http://Example.org/weather/ch/Bern/archive/2007-09-13>
is a female human named Agnetha, well, then thats what it is. It might
be an error, yes, but until I find out myself that clouds in Bern can't
sing "The Winner Takes It All", it will remain this way.

The main trouble with URIs is not finding out what they identify when
you stumble across them in some RDF... thats trivial, even machines can
do it.
The trouble is finding the right ones for RDF you write yourself.
"Right" in this context means there's a chance of other's using the same
URI for the same thing, which *should* be easier for things 'on the web'
than in general. Or so I thought before...

Oskar