Re: RDF/JSON

From: Richard Newman <r.newman@reading.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:23:36 -0700
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: Keith Alexander <k.j.w.alexander@gmail.com>

> The structure of an RDF/JSON document looks like this
> {
> RESOURCE URI => {

What about blank node subjects?

> 		  PROPERTY URI	=>
> 				  [
>                                     {
> 					type: ("literal","uri","bnode"),
> 					value: (the value of the object),

What is the value of "5"^^xsd:integer -- 5 or "5"?

What is the value of a blank node?

Can you nest these structures?

What do you do for non-ASCII strings? Linebreaks in strings?

Do you handle named graphs?

> If you publish RDF, would you consider publishing this RDF/JSON
> serialisation, and is it clear and unambiguous how to do so?

See my questions above.

I would be unlikely to publish in this serialization: unlike other
uses of JSON, this one will only be of use to Javascript, where
writing parsers for other languages is inconvenient. Everyone else
has Turtle.

> If you read RDF from the web in your applications and scripts,
> would this be a convenient serialisation for you?

Not really: I rarely process RDF in Javascript, and if I did it is
unlikely that the data I would want to process would be available in
this format. My other tools handle more widespread formats, like
Turtle, N-Triples, and RDF/XML.