Re: context of dc:identifier

Hi Bruce:

Well, that's useful for the dc:identifier problem but in XMP means using a
new schema (dcterms) with what mapping then to term value types?

For example, XMP defines a DC schema (with the DC namespace) with a mapping
to structured DC value types. So, an XMP compliant RDF/XML description must
follow the schema as defined by Adobe.

Now what for dcterms? Can I just use the dcterms namespace and write the
values as simple strings rahter than structured types.

The problem with XMP is that it does not allow for arbitrary RDF/XML but
constrains the defined schemas (DC being one of the defined schemas) to
contain the value types specified. See the dump below of a demo XMP using
the sample SDK app DumpMainXMP (and as RDF/N£ via cwm). Note that the
structured types (array - Alt, Bag, Seq) follow the Adobe spec.

Is my use of dcterms going to be the same as someone else's, or who is going
to define theXMP sxchema for dcterms?

Cheers,

Tony

1. From DumpMainXMP

// --------------------------------------
// Dumping main XMP for out/nri1840.xmp :

File info : format = "    ", handler flags = 00000260
Packet info : offset = 0, length = 1997

Initial XMP from out/nri1840.xmp
Dumping XMPMeta object ""  (0x0)

   http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/  xap:  (0x80000000 : schema)
      xap:Identifier = "info:doi/10.1038/nri1840"

   http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/  dc:  (0x80000000 : schema)
      dc:rights  (0x1E00 : isLangAlt isAlt isOrdered isArray)
         [1] = "(c) 2006 Nature Publishing Group"  (0x50 : hasLang hasQual)
               ? xml:lang = "x-default"  (0x20 : isQual)
      dc:publisher  (0x200 : isArray)
         [1] = "Nature Publishing Group"
      dc:language  (0x200 : isArray)
         [1] = "en"
      dc:date  (0x600 : isOrdered isArray)
         [1] = "2006-05-01T00:00:00Z"
      dc:creator  (0x600 : isOrdered isArray)
         [1] = "Giuseppe Pantaleo"
         [2] = "Alexandre Harari"
      dc:description  (0x1E00 : isLangAlt isAlt isOrdered isArray)
         [1] = ""  (0x50 : hasLang hasQual)
               ? xml:lang = "x-default"  (0x20 : isQual)
      dc:title  (0x1E00 : isLangAlt isAlt isOrdered isArray)
         [1] = "Functional signatures in antiviral T-cell immunity for
monitoring virus-associated diseases"  (0x50 : hasLang hasQual)
               ? xml:lang = "x-default"  (0x20 : isQual)
      dc:identifier = "info:doi/10.1038/nri1840"

2. From cwm (with QNames added)

#  Notation3 generation by
#       notation3.py,v 1.166 2004/10/28 17:41:59 timbl Exp

#   Base was: file:/Users/tony/Xcode/xmp/images/gem/

    @prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/> .
    @prefix xmp: <http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/> .

    <>   xmp:Identifier "info:doi/10.1038/nri1840";
         dc:creator  [
             a rdf:Seq;
             rdf:_1 "Giuseppe Pantaleo";
             rdf:_2 "Alexandre Harari" ];
         dc:date  [
             a rdf:Seq;
             rdf:_1 "2006-05-01T00:00:00Z" ];
         dc:description  [
             a rdf:Alt;
             rdf:_1 ""@x-default ];
         dc:identifier "info:doi/10.1038/nri1840";
         dc:language  [
             a rdf:Bag;
             rdf:_1 "en" ];
         dc:publisher  [
             a rdf:Bag;
             rdf:_1 "Nature Publishing Group" ];
         dc:rights  [
             a rdf:Alt;
             rdf:_1 "(c) 2006 Nature Publishing Group"@x-default ];
         dc:title  [
             a rdf:Alt;
             rdf:_1 "Functional signatures in antiviral T-cell immunity for
monitoring virus-associated diseases"@x-default ] .

#ENDS

On 3/9/07 16:32, "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Hammond, Tony wrote:
>
>> Note that Adobe's XMP spec (which profiles RDF/XML) deprecates use of
>> dc:identifier precisely because of lack of context. Instead it is
>> recommended to use xmp:Identifier (a Bag) and to qualify with
>> xmpidq:Scheme.
>
> When I asked a question related to this on the DCMI architecture list,
> I got the suggestion to use a datatype to indicate the context; for
> example:
>
> <dcterms:identifier
> rdf:datatype="http://purl.org/dc/terms/URI">info:doi/10.1038/
> nature06065.f1</dcterms:identifier>
>
> See:
>
> <http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0705&L=dc-
> architecture&T=0&F=&S=&P=2483>
>
> Bruce

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is
not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error
please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage
mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept
liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not
expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents.
Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents
accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or
its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and
attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan
Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan
Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998
Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS