Re: Embedding RDF in Microsoft Office?

A colleague of mine wrote a gleaner in Java using HWPF of the POI
project (http://poi.apache.org/)  for reading Word documents and the
Jena toolkit (http://jena.sourceforge.net) for creating RDF graphs.

In our case we decided to put the gleanable metadata in tables with a
specific structure and keywords.  Other options would be to put metadata
in custom document properties or fields.  You will want a system for
embedding and reading metadata that is minimally disruptive to authors.

This approach is simple but has the disadvantage of coupling the gleaner
code to the specific authoring practices, and also to a specific RDFS
vocabulary. It would not be suitable for gleaning arbitrary, complex
metadata from a wide variety of documents.

--Paul