Re: Semantic Web User Agent Conformance

On Nov 22, 2007 10:10 PM, Renato Golin wrote:

> I agree with you that "<link rel="stylesheet" type="application/rdf+xml"
> href="style.rdf" />" and similar cases is the best solution for embedded
> RDF, as it would have a content-type. No need for heuristics in this case.

Actually these principles even apply to RDF Stylesheet languages,
because they're a metalanguage too. It'd be a good principle for
authors of RDF Stylesheet languages to specify "magic triples", sorta
like magic bytes for files, that let people discover a file type more
easily.

I was thinking about using document subtypes, because then you'd just
query for { <> rdf:type ?x } and see if the types that you can handle
are in the results for ?x, but that makes it hard when you want to
merge mergeable stylesheets.

> Of course, not always you'll have the right content-type or some at
> all, so following the most probable to least

Well, RFC 2616 defines what to do in such a case, and the
specifications for HTML 4.01 and XML have something to say about how
to handle character encodings and so on too. You're right that you
should use existing stuff where it's available, but quite often it's
not particularly specification conformant so you end up rolling your
own anyway. Python, which I'm using, is supposed to be a "batteries
included" language and yet its standard library doesn't have anything
for HTTP response encoding detection.

--
Sean B. Palmer, http://inamidst.com/sbp/