Re: [Semantic_Web] Ontology Vs Semantic Networks

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 10:14:58 +0200
To: semantic_web@googlegroups.com, SW-forum <semantic-web@w3.org>

[cc'ing semantic-web@w3.org]

On 28/05/07, james.jim.taylor@gmail.com <james.jim.taylor@gmail.com> wrote:

> How can we distinguish between ontologies and semantic networks, and
> in what respects are they similar.
>
> I would appreciate any comments or references explaining that.

Mmm, homework...

Broadly speaking any graph-shaped knowledge representation (including
e.g. OWL ontologies, RDF data) could be described as semantic
networks. But if memory serves, historically semantic networks tended
to lack logical formalism, more along the lines of mindmaps - a
precursor to things like RDF/OWL.

John Sowa has a survey at:
http://www.jfsowa.com/pubs/semnet.htm

Cheers,