Re: OWL reasoning in rules

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 19:16:17 +0100
Cc: semantic-web@w3.org
To: "Adrian Walker" <adriandwalker@gmail.com>

On 25 May 2007, at 13:48, Adrian Walker wrote:

> Hi All --
>
> As usual, Matt asks the good questions.
>
> Actually, you can to a large extent have your expressiveness cake
> and eat it.
>
> The theory foundation for this is in the paper [1], and [2] is an
> overview.
[snip]

I didn't know you had a full and correct reduction of OWL (full? dl?
lite?) to IBL! I would have thought that this would have standardly
involved an exponential blow up in the number of rules and thus be
totally impractical (Boris's reduction can sometimes get slammed by
that, and its targeting a logic of comparable worst case complexity
to owl).

Are there any details of your reduction? I thought IBL was roughly
Datalog, so pretty impractical as a reduction target for a decision
procedure for OWL DL, but perhaps you've done something exceedingly
clever? Are you planning to publish the details anywhere? It's
certainly of great interest.

How do you do compared to Racer, Pellet, FaCT++ and esp. KAON2? Are
there any benchmarks? Does your reduction do the sane thing with
regard to DLP and hornSHIQ kbs?

Cheers,
Bijan.