Re: owl:sameAs use/misuse/abuse Re: homonym URIs

On 25 Jun 2007, at 01:01, Jacek Kopecky wrote:

> Wow. It's a nice description of the difference between the symbol and
> its referent. But I guess I should be able to state that
>
> @prefix ex <http://example.org/>
> ex:A http:redirects303To <http://example.org/A/doc>
> ex:B http:redirects303To <http://example.org/B/doc>
> ex:A owl:sameAs ex:B
>
> (which I think was Bernard's point)
>
> Or is it wrong to create http:redirects303To as a statement about the
> HTTP resource? If so, why?

It's wrong indeed. Because RDF statements always are about the
referents, and never about the identifier. The redirection is a
property of the identifier system (the URI), and not of the
identified thing. If I say:

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin> http:redirectsTo <http://
dbpedia.org/page/Berlin> .

Then I have said “the city of Berlin redirects to a web page about
the city of Berlin.” Which is nonsense.

Same with things like:

<http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin> str:numOfCharacters 33 .

“The city of Berlin is 33 characters long.” Nonsense again.

You cannot talk directly about URIs in RDF. The statement will always
be about the referent.

If you want to talk about the URI, then you would have to use
something like this:

"http://dbpedia.org/resource/Berlin"^^xsd:anyURI str:numOfCharacters
33 .

But of course literals are not allowed in the subject position ...

> Or does it perhaps show that while so very
> convenient, http: URIs (without fragment ID) already introduce a pun
> that makes owl:sameAs too strong?

I don't think so. It shows that you have to keep in mind that RDF
doesn't talk about URIs, but about the resources identified by the URIs.

> I've always been uneasy about the 303 approach to having http: URIs
> denote non-information resources; I guess I'd be in the 'hash' camp.
> Basically, my feeling is that 303 does not fully solve the issue,
> so it
> should be a softer recommendation than a W3C Recommendation MUST.

It isn't a MUST, and I've never seen anyone suggest that it should be.

Hash URIs and 303 URIs are both perfectly fine as identifiers for non-
information resources, both with their pros and cons (discussed at
length in e.g. [1], [2] and [3]).

Richard

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-vocab-pub/
[2] http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~sauermann/2006/11/cooluris/