Re: Can an XPath expression be considered as a

Laurent LE MEUR wrote:

> Now our problem: we want to be able to transform such assertions to
> RDF triples. The subject of the triple is a piece of text: can an
> XPath expression be an acceptable identifier for an RDF subject (my
> take is that it must be a URI, and an XPath expression is not a URI)?

Laurent,

Having an XPath expression as the fragment identifier (the part after
the '#') results, AFAIK, in perfectly valid RDF.  (Your average
non-XPath aware RDF-processor would  not be able to _interpret_ these
fragment identifiers, but this is not be necessary to allow it to do all
the normal RDF processing you would want it todo).

> If not, what are the good triples we can get from such a structure? I
> looked at Annotea to find guidelines, and found that the piece of text
> (represented by an XPointer in Annotea) is the value of the context
> property of a resource which is the annotation itself (see
> http://www.w3.org/2001/Annotea/Plan/context/newcontext.html). Is it
> the SemWeb definitive view on it?

With all respect for Marja-Riitta, the document you are referring to is
dated January 2003...

Personally, I do not see the added value of having the extra complexity
of the context property described there over just putting the
XPath/XPointer in the rdf:about attribute.

Hope this helps,

Jacco