Re: Is there a way to specify a data format based on RDF ?

Andrea Splendiani wrote:

>>> RDF just isn't well suited for describing structures that MUST
>>> include a particular field.  (You *can* do this, but then you're
>>> ignoring RDF's semantics, and just treating it as a weird database).
>>
>> Additional assumptions are not quite the same as ignoring the
>> semantics :-)
>>
>> In engineering terms there is often a point where you have to say
>> "whilst the world is open this is all the data I'm actually going to
>> get and I have to check if this data is complete enough to meet the
>> assumptions of my next processing step". That doesn't stop you
>> benefiting from the flexibility of the open world assumption right up
>> to the point where you have perform a closed-world model check in order
>> to proceed (e.g. actually send a message to that address).
>
> Yes and...
> is there a way to formalize these extra contraints ?
> If I want to provide a documentation about them, to define an exchange
> message ? Or a post-pre-requisite valid "content" ?

I was suggesting using OWL restrictions (esp. cardinality and hasValue
restrictions) and performing closed-world model checking on your data
against that OWL.

Other than integrity rules (for which there is no semantic web standard)
then another approach would be to perform schematron-style syntactic
validation by specifying SPARQL queries which should or should-not
return results from querying the message.

Cheers,
Dave
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited