Re: What if an URI also is a URL

Le 14 juin 2007 à 00:15, Tim Berners-Lee a écrit :
> Experience shows.  This is engineering.
> That question is I suppose one agonized over by working groups all
> the time.
> Fortunately, there are social systems not only for announcing that
> a UTI has been minted and describing what it denotes, but also for
> getting feedback from people who don't understand it, or whose
> machines are not able to process it. This feedback can lead to an
> adjustment of the information out there, publication of tutorials,
> and so on.

and

> The important thing is that as the dance is done, the probability
> of major disagreement, and the degree of pedantic disagreement,
> decrease very dramatically, to become negligible for engineering
> purposes.

It is even better than that.

Disagreement, ambiguity, variability, lie, etc are not bugs, but a
feature of the system. Each system which becomes too rigid looses its
flexibility and often die. The social agreement makes it happen in a
*context* keeping the possibility of an error, a mistake and by it,
giving the possibility to fork, evolve, etc.

It's a question of balance.

1+1 = 2  most of the time, but not necessary in poetry.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***