Re: What if an URI also is a URL

On 10 Jun 2007, at 22:13, carmen wrote:

>>> Imagine a world where everything -- absolutely everything -- has
>>> one or
>>> more unique barcode printed on it. Including passports and
>>> people. And
>>> everyone has a free barcode printer. Tim has simply asserted that
>>> the
>>> barcode on your forehead should be different from the barcode on
>>> your
>>> passport.
>
> why should they be different?

Because people might want to say different things about you and your
passport.

> so they have to depend on some 3rd database somewhere connecting
> the two numbers?  this is like the 303 redirect thing. most people
> will never do it. its added complexity on the server level and
> model level with provenance tracking, and scripting-language web-
> client libraries usually invisibly follow the redirect without even
> telling you the URL changed..
>
> i'll take the same number on the RFID tag implanted under my skin,
> and my passport, thanks. theyre both to identify me anyways.

Well, when designing a security system, it might be quite important
to know if you just swiped your forehead in front of the security
scanner, or if it was just your passport being swiped by god-knows-whom.

> any ID referring to the passport itself is up to the issuing agency
> to care about, the analogy being a GUID or quad-hash in the store
> never exposed to the user or usually even the developer..
> each word in the english language has represented about 4 or 5
> things depending on context for ages. no reason UR[IL]s cant do the
> same..

Well, the English language was not designed as a resource
identification scheme for a computer-based information system.

Richard