Re: What if an URI also is a URL

Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> writes:

> On 2007-06 -09, at 06:39, r.j.koppes wrote:
>
> > The thing that still puzzles me is the following: a URI is unique
> > in the
> > thing it represents, indeed, it is a resource identifier. a URL is
> > only
> > unique in the location and can mean very different things

You should read
   http://www.w3.org/TR/uri-clarification/#contemporary
if you haven't already.

> No no no no no.
> The term "URL" is NOT part of the architecture. It has no well-
> defined meaning.
> (It has been used to mean "URIs which use FTP or HTTP schemes as
> opposed to URN schemes"
> or "URIs which might break" or URIs of documents") It would be
> simplest if you stop using it
> and only use the term URI.  The use of a string as a 'URL' is not
> different from its use as a URI.

I have to disagree slightly, boss.  :-)

I still like and use the term "URL".  To me, a URI is also a URL if it
denotes an information resource.  I find, at least with the right tone
of voice, that this distinction comes across pretty well to people I
talk to, and is a useful distinction to make.   I think I hear other
people using it this way, too.

     -- Sandro