Size of the Semantic Web was: Semantic Web Ontology Map

Hi Sheila and all,

it is a great idea to try to draw a map of the Semantic Web and to provide
people with a place to refer to in order to see the Semantic Web grow.
So great idea!

But what confuses me a bit is your claim that this is a map of THE Semantic
Web as June 2007.

You have got 200 000 RDF files.

If you look at Swoogle's statistic page
http://swoogle.umbc.edu/index.php?option=com_swoogle_stats&Itemid=8, you see
that they have 1.2 million files amounting to 436 million triples.

If you look at the Linking Open Data project page
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData
you will see that there are over one billion triples and I would guess that
the different servers within the project serve around 30 million RDF
documents to the Web.

So my guess would be that:

- your dataset covers less than 1% of the Semantic Web
- Swoogle covers about 4 % of the Semantic Web

as of June 2007.

So I think it would be important that people who claim to cover the whole
Semantic Web would give some details about the crawling algorithms they use
to get their datasets so that it is possible to judge the accuracy of their
results.

The datasources in the Linking Open Data project are all interlinked with
RDF links. So it is possible to crawl all 30 million documents by following
these links. Good starting points for a crawl are URIs identifying concepts
from different domains within DBpedia, as they are interlinked with many
other data sets.

Some background information about the idea of RDF Links and how crawlers can
follow these links are found in
http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/

Cheers

Chris