URI aliases and owl:sameAs was: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Hi Alan,

note that I changed the subject line as there are lots of different
things discussed in this thread.

Agreed. I think our different view might result from the different
domains we are working in.
You are working on biology and life science and as I understood there
are some "kind of" commonly accepted naming schemata for this domain.
I say "kind of" because I was the "URL +1, LSID -1" thread with 148
replies on your mailing list :-)

As I'm working on Dbpedia and the LOD project and we are touching lots
of domains without accepted naming schemata there.

Also note our argument in the tutorial, that if you have a commonly
accepted schema like ISBN or ISIN numbers for your domain, put this
numbers into your URIs to ease automated link generation, but still
use your own URIs so that people can dereference them to YOUR
description of the book or stock. (see
http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/#autogenerateLinks)

It would be interesting to discuss in which cases this is a good
practice and in which you should use URIs that have been minted by
somebody else.

>> 2. Provenance Tracking: If you mint your own URIs you can back them
>> up with RDF descriptions, which makes it easy to track who said
>> what on the Semantic Web, as there is only one authoritative
>> information provider for each URI.
>
> I would prefer an explicit mechanism for tracking provenance, such
> as  a vocabulary and protocol for doing so,

Jeremy Carol, Pat Hayes, Patrick Stickler and I developed such a
vocabulary a while ago.
See "Semantic Web Publishing Vocabulary" in the Named Graphs paper
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B758F-4H9YC8X-1&_user=1676895&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2005&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000054205&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=1676895&md5=27eb8ebf4f90123d6dc8f8395b7ed4f0#sec22

Requiring everybody to use such a vocabulary would be nice, but does
not scale to the complete Web in my opinion.

> rather than one which  conflicts with another element of your usage.

Where do you see conflicts?

I think this approach works nicely together with using the Named
Graphs data model on the client to represent information that has been
retrieved from the Web by dereferencing URIs. See "Semanitc Web Client
Library" and the DISCO browser for applications that do exactly this.

>  owl:sameAs means  indistinguishable - the exact same thing. Better
> to have objects  which are explicitly "commentaries about the thing"
> (rather than  aliases of the thing), stated by someone at some time
> by some  authority etc, and than overload the naming mechanism, IMO.

I don't say anything on this topic anymore as it has been discussed
enough on this list.
My take-away from the discussions: For practical reasons it is OK to
do this.

>> 3. Discovery: When you know that two URIs refer to the same non-
>> information resource, it is extremely easy and does not require any
>> new technical infrastructure to retrieve information about this
>> resource from the Web: Just dereference both URIs.
>
> When you know.

Sure, when you know. Thats why we recommend in our tutorial to
properly interlink your data with other data.
If enough people do this, then you know.

> When you don't, you miss an opportunity to "join",  i.e. gather all
> the information about an entity you might be  interested in.

What is the alternative: A central registry for all Web documents
talking about the same URI.
Very scalable ;-)

>> 4. Information Quality: Information providers will not set
>> owl:sameAs links to minor quality information provided by somebody
>> else about the same non-information resource. Therefore setting a
>> owl:sameAs link implies a quality judgement and a client can use
>> these judgements to assess information quality using an algorithm
>> like PageRank.
>
> There is no basis for this assertion. sameAs isn't a statement about
> information quality. It is a statement about identity.

No, an owl:sameAs statement connection information from two different
data sources, for instance
http://dbpedia.org/resource/Harry_Potter_and_the_Half-Blood_Prince
owl:sameAs
http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bookmashup/books/0747581088, is an
external RDF link (in the same way that all other statements that
connect different data sources are RDF links).

As information providers usually do not set RDF links to information
that sucks, setting an RDF Links implies some quality judgement.

This is exactly the same as with hypertext links on the classic
document web. You can use these links as quality indicator. This is
how Google made its first billion.

> You could  argue, within a community, that it serve this purpose,
> and then, with  adequate advertising agree among you to do things
> this way, but I  think that asserting that this is the case in a
> tutorial for naive  users is somewhat misleading. Certainly this
> will not be understood  by the SW community at large.

I don't think so, the Semantic Web communy knows a lot about WEB
technology and they will understand.
One just have to look at examples from the classic document Web:
Google and alike.

>> I also do not say that you should always mint your own URIs. Note
>> that we also have an example where somebody reuses an existing URI
>> and provides non-authoritative information about a resource within
>> our Linked Data tutorial (http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/
>> bizer/pub/LinkedDataTutorial/#deref).
>
> Just so you know where I stand, I find this whole "authority"
> business confusing and ripe for misunderstanding, AWWW or not. It is
> clear to me that authority doesn't define meaning or correctness.

The Web is by definition a distributed open system and that why you
will not be able to avoid the "whole authority business" ;-)

> Absent that, we need to be careful about saying exactly what this
> authority confers. In your tutorial section 5 I honestly don't
> understand what differs about the status of the statements in the
> authoritative versus non-authoritative versions.

Just translate authority with URI owner. In AWWW, the URI owner has a
special position as he is the only entity that can officially define
what a URI refers to. Therefore, clients can treat information from an
URI authority as more trustworthy if they like.

The interesting thing about Web architecture is that they can do this,
but that the can also do other things for instance, prefer information
from a third in their view highly thrustwothy information provider
over the information from the URI authority. This point is often
forgotten in our discussions, but a fact of life.

>> I'm not also completely clear about which approach is better in
>> which situations. This would be something very interesting to
>> discuss here on the list.
>>
>> I just say that there situations where minting your own URIs and
>> interlinking them later with automated algorithms is more
>> practical. At least it is more practical in the situation we are
>> facing in the Linking Open Data project.
>
> Again, this is the necessary evil stance, which I think is
> warranted,  as you do.

Cool.

>> As we should aim at deploying the Semantic Web/Web of Data now, I
>> also think that we should not wait for future name discovery
>> infrastructures, community agreement about naming schemata or the
>> like, but use an approach that works now.
>
> Yes, but also one that works in the future. Having hidden (as in not
> rdf) information about nonstandard interpretations of vocabulary
> isn't a robust strategy.

I don't see any nonstandard interpretation of any piece of vocabulary
here.

Maybe you can argue that the TAG work on this is in draft status right
now, but I'm pretty sure that it will turn into official findings in
the near future without major modifications. These guys have been
thinking about this for years now and the dimensions information
resource vs. non-information resouce and generic resource vs specific
resource are their solution. Which I don't want to question because I
don't want to repeat all these discussions.

>>> rather than using an alternative mechanism for doing so,  one of
>>> which might be the one I suggested.
>>
>> Alan sorry, which mechanism did you suggest?
>
> I suggested that, for instance, why not have e.g. dbpedia only have
> statements associated with *information resources* which are
> understood as "community statements about" some subject. It is like
> your non-authoritative description,

As I said before, this is not practicable right now as there are lots
of non-information resources in this world without URIs.

> augmenting the metadata with a  more explicit description of the
> intention, provenance, quality,  mechanism by which the statements
> were gathered and other information  that an agent could use to
> decide how to interpret the statements  therein.

Good idea.

> If you were being extra careful you would have another  resource for
> the data, and point to it so that one could clearly  choose, based
> on the metadata, whether or not to dereference or use  the
> "description".

Ok, but this is what we are doing. We have 2 information reources (one
dereferinging to a HTML representation, one dereferincing to a RDF
representation). The only difference is that we have this additional
third non-information resource (URI alias) for the reasons outlined in
my previous mail.

> In your example 1 I wonder whether the author knew of http://
> zitgist.com/music/artist/d71ba53b-23b0-4870-a429-cce6f345763b before
> minting http://dbpedia.org/resource/Alec_Empire. If that were the
> case,  I would say it would have been better to have not minted
> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Alec_Empire, instead reusing the
> identifier *the author itself* believed to be the proper name of the
> resource

I think Alec Empire does not know that the Semantic Web exists and
therefore also did not mint a URI to himself.

This is kind of a problem in our context.

> (that's what you are asserting with the owl:sameAs). To to  put it
> more harshly, doing otherwise would be an unnecessary evil.
>
>--
>
> I'll note another issue: The Creative Commons licenses are about
> copyright, which protects expression, not facts. To the extent that
> the rdf is data/statement of fact, it is not clear that these
> licenses are relevant, and might even be harmful.

Sorry, RDF triples on the Web are clearly not facts but claims by
their publisher in the same way that any other Web content also has to
be concidered as a claim.

If this would not be the case, all trust problems would be solved and
we could delete the trust layer from the Semantic Web architecture
stack.

>  I suggest you  consult a lawyer about this usage - or perhaps
> discuss it with the  Science Commons counsel - Thinh Nguyen
> (thinh@creativecommons.org)

This could be interesting. I did not follow the discussions whether
data should be considered an expression and is therefore protected by
copyright. But I heard with one ear that there was a ruling in the EC
that data is considered an expression in most cases.

I thought you guys at Creative Commons would take care of following
these discussions and provide the community with the right licenses so
that we don't have to consult an lawyer for a lot of money.

Isn't it by any chance in the scope of the Science Commons project to
define the license terms that we would need for our Linking Open Data
project?

Cheers

Chris

 --