Re: [Aperture-devel] vCard Meeting 7/18 - 2 ET?

Hi Leo,

Leo Sauermann wrote:

>> I really want to recommend good, clear, stable vocabularies for
>> developers to use. These developers may not have any apriori
>> background or interest in RDF.
> we have the same interest and after months of discussion with desktop
> search engine developers, have tried to reach consensus, but never did :-/#
> Antoni Mylka discussed with the different developers for months.
> It is hard work to explain RDF to developers. Also, the KDE people want
> only to use datatype properties (only literals) whereas Nepomuk needs
> object properties.

I understand the impulse to only use literals, but I think everyone --
including users -- often need more than that. I think this is the major
failing of XMP.

My understanding from one of the KOffice developers, BTW, is that they
would like to implement the new ODF metadata support.

> In Nepomuk, the project that funds our work, we have to deliver the
> first prototypes in 5 days, and then, evaluate them in a scientific
> experiment (usability studies, desktop search studies, etc). We move
> aperture.sf.net to NIE now and hope that we reach consensus sometimes in
> the future :-/
>
> I would *love* to discuss and merge our two approaches into one, but
> simply said: we cannot do that now.

No problem :-)

>> So I'd like to be able to suggest a representation for agents be used
>> generally in ODF. I'd also like to use pieces of it to represent
>> agents, addresses, and events in the new bibliographic ontology work
>> some of us are involved in, which I also want to use in ODF:
>>
>>     <http://bibliontology.com>
> We haven't focussed on bib in nepomuk yet,
> if you convince the bibsonomy.org people to use your ontology, that
> would help to get us in. (they are project member)

One of more of them may be on our mailing list; am not sure.

Our primary practical use case is the excellent Firefox extension
Zotero, which unlike most bibliographic tools, is run my humanities
people (historians; much more demanding metadata needs).

> My suggestion: we ask the W3C RDF Working groups (best
> practices/deployment, SWEO, where I am a member) to start a new working
> group "ontology standardization" which hosts a list of ontologies and a
> mailinglist.
> Once anyone has the idea "I want to make a new ontology", this
> mailinglist is the place. ... we should move this to a new thread. So,
> we announce that "I will make an ontology for X" before it happens :-)

Good idea.

Bruce