Re: Structured Knowledge Platform Idea

Interesting - I've been doing something a bit like this though not using RDF.
Having a compact structired numerical category code is extremely useful for
efficient manipulation of data by subcategory tree.

Take a look at the drop down menus under

http://btucson.com/Tucson/Business%20Directory/

by hovering over the ยป character, you can quickly traverse over 8000
categories even though the initial footprint of a page may be as small as
10K.

Mean to do something similar for the DMOZ categories.  I think will be a
useful tool for helping users efficiently enter data & search under a precise
category.

--Golda

On Friday 09 February 2007 19:50, Adam wrote:
> If there's any interesting developments based on these preliminary ideas,
I'll keep you posted.  I have a good feeling about this representation
format.

> Cheers,
> Adam Sobieski

knowledge representation and integer-based knowledge representation.  I hope
these ideas can be of some use for you.

>   Regards,
>   Adam Sobieski
>
>   ---------------------------
>
>   FOUNDATION
>   Distributed Structured Knowledge Platform
>

>   Overview
>
>   This overview describes a theorized distributed P2P platform for
language-independent structured knowledge and data exchange. This solution
utilizes a numerical knowledge representation methodology for both computer
efficiency and theorized language-independence. Additionally, this proposed
knowledge representation format allows for distributed systems level
optimization via the composition of packets during distributed query
processing. Packets proposed in this model contain variables that are filled
in by results during packet propagation across a P2P network completing a
search tree pattern. Packets are routed by hashing the known quantities at
each step utilizing the P2P content-addressible properties available by
giving each machine a unique ID. Each successful leaf node in a search tree
returns completed packets to a proxy machine that then returns results to the
user's machine requesting a structured knowledge search. The proxy machine is
used to allow multiple identical queries to be coordinated by a single
machine (based upon its P2P machine ID and current time) so that a
distributed caching feature can be realized. The use of system time in this
delegation is so that the responsibility for popular queries can rotate
across all machines in the network. That is, the proposed model offers one
method to integrate P2P technology, distributed database technology and
integer-based knowledge representation. Rule systems and ontology can be
expressed alongside structured knowledge in the same format alongside it in
the structured knowledgebase.

>   01 Knowledge Representation Format
>
>   This representation format utilizes 128-bit unsigned integers which are
theoretically mappable to URI. This representation allows a style of
reification on the triples called 'direct reification' which allows an
element in a triple to uniquely reference another triple, though the
considerations to descriptive logics and advanced ontological research are
unknown. Additionally, each triple contains a key that allows it to be
referenced uniquely making this proposed system quadruples based. The use of
the Unique ID can be used for metadata purposes and source provenance in
paraconsistent multisource knowledgebases. Pair-wise hashings can be obtained
from the numerical elements of these quadruples to both provide redundancy
and fault-tolerance, essential for P2P systems, and to allow
content-addressible routing on the level of structured knowledge assertions.
That is, given four 128-bit integers:

>   [Entity One][Relationship][Entity Two][Unique ID]
>
>   we can obtain a number of hashes including HASH(Entity One, Relationship),
HASH(Relationship, Entity Two), HASH(Unique ID, Unique ID) with these hashes
mapping to machines that each hold a duplicate of the structured knowledge
assertion. This is of additional use to content-addressible routing during
distributed query processing. Additionally possible in this numerical
approach is to use the properties of certain bits to indicate logical
negation (Entities resulting in a disjoint set, Relationships resulting in
the logical negation, UniqueID's utilizable by a rule system. So, we can
theorize that the left-most bit is utilized for this purpose. The rightmost
two bits can be of additional use in distinguising which column an entity is
introduced in (Entity One, Relationship, Entity Two, Unique ID). This can
allow indirect reference across the distributed knowledgebase and possibly be
of use to reasoning systems.

>   02 Distributed Cache
>
>   The use of a system time along with the unique hash of a query, also
representable in a four-column notation, allows proxy machines to be
determined that can rotate to delegate responsibility over a large number of
machines. That is, something resembling:

>   QueryHash = HASH(MakeUnique(Query))
>   Offset = DetermineOffset(QueryHash)
>   Is CurrentTime() + Offset > NextTimeSliceBegin() ?
>    If so, the proxy machine has ID = HASH(QueryHash, NextTimeSliceBegin())
>    Otherwise, the proxy machine ID is HASH(QueryHash, LastTimeSliceBegin())
>
>   Here DetermineOffset() can use some sort of modular process on the
QueryHash to spread the rotation of query proxies over a phase space. The
function MakeUnique() can sort the lines of a query and generate the hash in
some computationally efficient manner.

>   03 Numerical Subsystem
>
>   With an ontological commitment of a HASVALUE relationship type, we can
implicitly know that the right-hand element, Entity Two, is numerical data
and utilize standard methods on representing and distinguishing integer types
and floating-point datatypes. That is, by distinguishing one relation type
for system use, numerical data can be stored alongside structured knowledge
data in the same integer-based format. Additionally possible is optimizing
arithmetical and algebraic relationship types to more effectively utilize
underlying hardware.

>   04 User Interface
>
>   An imagined user interface for direct structured knowledgebase access
might resemble a graphical tabular interface, with four columns, where a user
can enter text or drag and drop icons into position to articulate a desired
query on the knowledgebase. Variables can be entered in the interface an
matching tuples and structure returned from a structured knowledge query can
be navigatible in the interface. Returned elements, sets and structure can,
imaginably, be graphically utilized with accompanying workspaces and folders,
where elements can be taken from to formulate a structured knowledge query.
An interface would aim to minimize the text typing required to utilize the
system by allowing entities, relationships and unique ID's to be visually
representable.

>   05 Self-Optimizing Ontology
>
>   The numerical based approach allows, theoretically, machine-generated
ontology so that, along with a rule system (also capable of
machine-generation) entities can be stored efficiently. That is, theoretical
relationships between ontology and file compression are possible with a
knowledgebase handling its own storage in a manner that is independent from
the processing of queries across the distributed system. This correlates to
relationships between the AI subfields of decision trees and categorization
and more efficient, possibly unintuitive, ontological compression can be
written into the knowledgebase by algorithms. That is, algorithms can write
ontology and corresponding rules into a knowledgebase for purposes of
compression.

>   06 Conclusion
>
>   Described is one possible model for a complete all-to-all asynchronous
parallel solution for writing, efficiently storing and retrieving a large
volume of knowledge with a high rate of input and output. The knowledge
representation format allows rules and ontology to be articulated alongside
structured knowledge; the use of integers may introduce exciting possiblities
into the fields of AI, NLP and machine translation.

Golda Velez  http://goldavelez.info
Webglimpse.Net  http://webglimpse.net
Internet WorkShop http://iwhome.com
 cell: (520) 440-1420
"Help organize the world - index your own corner of the web!"