Re: RFC on 'Semantic Web Locationary'

On Feb 6, 2007, at 5:26 AM, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> Ian,
>
> Looks neat. Couldn't get it to work in any of the Semantic Web
> browsers though as the RDF documents don't validate (see [1] for
> example).
>
> The main problem seems to be that you use both rdf:about and rdf:ID
> on the same element, which RDF/XML doesn't allow for some reason.
> Instead of
>
>    <foo:Bar rdf:about="urn:..." rdf:ID="ASDF">
>
> you should write
>
>    <foo:Bar rdf:about="urn:...">
>        <owl:sameAs rdf:resource="#ASDF"/>
>
> Some URIs also have spaces in them, which will break things. E.g.
> the list in http://www.pipian.com/rdf/places/city/Berlin .

Heh, I suppose I could have run it through a validator first!  Not to
difficult to fix at least.

> Maybe things would also work better if you served RDF/XML as
> application/rdf+xml instead of application/xml (not sure if the RDF
> browsers can deal with the latter).

This was a tricky thing.  I was testing the XSLT transformations with
Firefox, and oddly, it refuses to load them for application/rdf+xml,
but has no problem with application/xml.

> On the human-readable side, most of the links on the home page
> don't work for me: http://www.pipian.com/rdf/places/Alaska is 404,
> and http://www.pipian.com/rdf/places/subdiv/Georgia brings up an
> empty screen.

Latter is a bit odd, former is something I'm aware of and still
working on (need to thread all of the category searches together to
make sure that the response is either unique, or not, depending on
the search)

> Best,
> Richard
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/ARPServlet?URI=http%3A%2F%
> 2Fwww.pipian.com%2Frdf%2Fplaces%2Fcountry%2FGermany&PARSE=Parse+URI%
> 3A+&TRIPLES_AND_GRAPH=PRINT_TRIPLES&FORMAT=PNG_EMBED

Thanks for the help.  I'll definately go back and fix these.  Even I
admit that it's still a bit buggy and under development, but it's
always good to have someone to remind me what I'm missing.

Ian