[vcard] Notes and questions from VCard/RDF #swig and F2C Meeting: Friday Jan 26th 12:00ET

Everyone,

    While there was unfortunately no official scribe, I did manage to
take some notes of what the general feeling of the meeting was. Aside
from what is obvious from the #swig archive [1] is that there was two
general points being made.

1) The first was brought up by Kjetil Kjernsmo, also representing
concerns from Phil Archer regarding using vCard in the Web Content WG
over the use of the "nick" property. Currently the "v:nickname" property
has a VCard class domain, which they believe won't work since they need
a "shortname" to represent not only people but organizations such as
"I.B.M." who may want to label contet.

2) TimBL brought up a generalization of the point: He would like the
domain of all vCard information that is about either people or
organizations, such as "v:fn" or "v:bday", to have a domain not as
v:VCard but of something more like foaf:Agent. Otherwise, it appears
that "the card has a full name" or "the card itself has a birthday",
which seems wrong. While the card clearly does have properties like
time-stamped revisions (v:rev), it would be a mess to conflate that type
of information with information about the "thing the card is about." In
other words, the card is a type of indirection that holds information
about some other thing, and so the domain of this indirect information
should *not* be v:vCard.

3) Lastly, we had a very long and not so productive conversation about
naming ordering, in particular honorific-prefixes and suffixes, and
simply surrendered on any sane way to keep this internationalizable
beside just encouraging people to use just v:fn and v:sort-string and
not to use prfefies and suffices, alothough they should be modelled for
sake of "round-tripping" between hCard and vcard ontologies.

    I'll try to add these into the note as soon as I get my head a bit
further around DocBook...

             -harry

[1] http://chatlogs.planetrdf.com/swig/2007-01-26.html
Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> was heard to say:
> | 	There will another IRC #swig meeting to discuss vCard in RDF, this time
>
> I wasn't able to attend, but I have now read the chatlog. It was a bit
> hard to follow without the audio :-)
>
> If the participants approved explicit changes to the vCard ontology, I
> didn't successfully glean them from the record. Please let me know if I
> overlooked them.

		-harry

Harry Halpin,  University of Edinburgh
http://www.ibiblio.org/hhalpin 6B522426