Re: What is a semantic web application

Ehsan --

Good question.

What it seems to mean in practice is that the application somehow makes very
good use of real world meanings, in a way that is friendly to further,
different applications.

We have listed 3 ways that kind of thing can happen, calling them
Semantics1, 2, and 3.

In that scheme of things:

  Semantics1 is the real world meaning of English sentences

  Semantics2 says what consequences it should be possible to deduce
      from any collection of data and rules of inference

  Semantics3 is the meaning of data, either tagged  as in RDF, or with a
schema as in SQL.

There are some slides [1]  about a way of combining Semantics1, 2, an3 in a
single application-independent system, and there's also a short Flash movie
[2] about how this works.

Hope this helps.

                                                    -- Adrian

[1]
http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/SOACoP/2007-10-0102/AWalker09292007.pdf

[2]   http://www.reengineeringllc.com/ibldrugdbdemo1.htm

Internet Business Logic
A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free

Adrian Walker
Reengineering