Re: Datatypes

On 23 Aug 2007, at 13:33, Dave Reynolds wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> On 23 Aug 2007, at 09:54, Dave Reynolds wrote:
>>> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> [snipped useful stuff]
>>>
>>> No, at least not yet. We're not yet convinced that such
>>> replication of XSD inside OWL is appropriate, though can see some
>>> benefits.
>> [snip]
>> Hmm. That's more than I can see, personally. The main benefits
>> seems to be free use of datatype expressions (versus having to
>> name them) and perhaps the "one file" thang. The latter is rather
>> uninteresting to me.
>
> Yes, you are right. I must have been feeling too mellow when
> writing that message ;-) I think our original feedback was more
> robustly negative.
>
> The all-in-one-file is one argument and as you say is hardly exciting.

Yeah, we should just ignore it, I think.

> There is possibly an argument for being able to query the structure
> of the data expression without having to move to a different tool
> stack but I couldn't make such an argument convincingly myself.

The strong use case is the need for anonymous datatype expressions.
I've been in situations where I would have to coin a lot of pointless
datatype names (e.g., to represent events occurring within certain
intervales).

>> For the former, I'd tend to prefer using fragments of XML Schema
>> (although that has it's own problems).
>
> Reasonable.

No pretty solution, really. Maybe relax-ng has some better way.

Cheers,
Bijan.