Re: wildcard resource representation

Garret, I saw an ontology just recently that set out to do what you
want. Check out

http://www.w3.org/blog/SW/2007/07/19/powder_update

Not sure how well accepted it is, but I think it does what you want.

On 1 Aug 2007, at 10:24, Richard Cyganiak wrote:

> On 1 Aug 2007, at 02:57, Garret Wilson wrote:
>> I'm creating an ontology in which it is useful to identify "any
>> resource". That is, let's say that I want to specify to which
>> resource a particular <eg:Rule> applies. I can specify (let me try
>> my hand at N3 here);
>>
>> [] a eg:Rule;
>>  eg:appliesTo <urn:uuid:92f01109-e08e-4ac2-b0d4-b13f65ba7595>
>>
>> That means that the rules applies to some identified resource. But
>> is there any convention for identifying "any resource"? I see
>> several options:
>
> That's why we have blank nodes.
>
> [] a eg:Rule;
>     eg:appliesTo [ a rdfs:Resource ];
>     .
>
> This says that the rule applies to "anything that has rdf:type
> rdfs:Resource".

I don't think so Richard. That says that the rule applies to some
thing that has type rdfs:Resource.
You need N3 quantification to work on every rule.

> Since, in fact, *everything* is of type rdfs:Resource, this is
> redundant, and can be stated simply as
>
> [] a eg:Rule;
>     eg:appliesTo [];
>     .