Re: Inheriting property restrictions

Hi,

On Sep 7, 2006, at 12:37 AM, Paul Gearon wrote:

> No, I think the specs are actually OK on this.  After all,
> restrictions are formed through subclassing, and subclassing is
> transitive.  It has a clear mathematical meaning.  Saying anything
> else is redundant.

Maybe for the actual specs, but the OWL Guide goes out of its way to
mention "Multiple domains mean that the domain of the property is the
intersection of the identified classes (and similarly for
range)." [1] I think the OWL guide, if not the specs, would have been
an appropriate place to bring up the consequences of multiple
conflicting restrictions on the same property and inherited
restrictions.

> Collecting a lot of the misunderstandings together, and explaining
> both the correct interpretation and WHY this interpretation is
> valid would be very valuable to people learning OWL.

I agree completely. Something like an "OWL Implications" document, or
even an "OWL Best Practices."

- ben

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-guide-20040210/#DefiningProperties