Re: a guy with 5 first names, from I18N comments on P3P, for vCard/RDF

Le 17 nov. 2006 à 19:21, Dan Connolly a écrit :
> On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 11:08 +0100, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> Indeed, and van Mierlo's name was by no means unusual by Dutch
>> standards. Although I might consider A.F.M.O. as middle names; I
>> am not
>> really sure what 'middle name' means...
>
> The term in the vCard spec isn't 'middle name' but 'additional name';
> who knows if that's any clearer...
>
> Is there software that Dutch people commonly use to
> manage their contacts? Does it read/write vCard format?
> Does it exploit anything beyond
> the fullname field? After all, this isn't a philosophical
> excercise; it's software engineering.

It reminds me of a discussion we had about names in the context of FOAF.
http://rdfweb.org/pipermail/rdfweb-dev/2003-July/011461.html

The problem with vcard and alike-tools are they are adapted to a very
narrow set of culture.
The most generic thing we can do about names is *maybe* a "name"
marker. As soon we try to be more specific, we enter very difficult
territories. I said maybe, because in addressbook the time
information is often missing. A name like an address can change in
some cultures with regards to time.

Some people says that it doesn't matter, because "see these people
are using this tool, so it worked". In fact what people do like Ivan
showed is that they are torturing their cultureal habits to fit in
frameworks which are strange. Very difficult question :/

An ontology of names project is almost as ambitious as the whole
unicode project.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***