Re: RDF Profiles in Link Values

On 17 Nov 2006, at 06:25, Richard Cyganiak wrote:
> Sean,
>
> My €0.02: Ignore the titles, or take them just as a very broad
> hint. Load all files typed application/rdf+xml with potentially
> interesting hints, and inspect them to see if there is any data you
> want. The data is self-descriptive for a reason.
>
> That's what schema-agnostic clients will do anyway.
>
> Yes, profiles might make things a bit more efficient for schema-
> specific clients, but I wonder if it's worth the hassle. Unless I
> hear anyone say, "All these FOAF files are killing my DOAP
> crawler!", I will conclude that the proposal tries to solve a non-
> issue.

I do think it is an issue. I like to do things right when I do them,
and having semantics in the title seems to be misusing the title
attribute. One can always argue for doing this less well, and that
they work. After all the current tag soup of a web does kind of work!

In Atom the rel attribute is defined like this:

[[

The value of "rel" MUST be a string that is non-empty and matches
either the "isegment-nz-nc" or the "IRI" production in [RFC3987].
Note that use of a relative reference other than a simple name is not
allowed. If a name is given, implementations MUST consider the link
relation type equivalent to the same name registered within the IANA
Registry of Link Relations (Section 7), and thus to the IRI that
would be obtained by appending the value of the rel attribute to the
string "http://www.iana.org/assignments/relation/".

]] http://www.atompub.org/rfc4287.html#rel_attribute

So I would suggest that a future spec of the link attribute do the
same for this html link, and that in the mean time you use a rel
relation different from alternate that is a relation between a
document (the doc in which the link appears) and some object.

So the following would seem to make sense to me:

<link rel="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/creator"
       type="application/rdf+xml"
       title="created by"
       href="http://bblfish.net/people/henry/card#me" />