Re: Re[4]: AW: Content negotiation flamewar (was: Re: "Hash URIs" and content negotiation)

On 14 Nov 2006, at 15:03, Max Voelkel wrote:
>> [...]
>> Depending on what we asked for, #Bob could be a part of an HTML
>> document, or #Bob could be something that according to authoritative
>> RDF statements is a person.
>
> not  really  'part of an HTML document', the fragment id is much
> vaguer defined.

 From RFC 2854 [1]:

| For documents labeled as text/html, the fragment identifier
| designates the correspondingly named element; any element may be
| named with the "id" attribute, and A, APPLET, FRAME, IFRAME, IMG and
| MAP elements may be named with a "name" attribute.

So, the frag id names an *element*, a structural part of the document.

This increases my conviction that, if #Bob is a person, a 303 should
be done before we serve HTML.

[...]
>> If we answer 303 if asked for HTML, then the server essentially says,
>> "Sorry, I can't give you an HTML representation of http://
>> example.com/
>> resources (because then you could wrongly conclude that #Bob is a
>> part of an HTML document), but over there is another resource that
>> might be relevant to your request."
> Hmm those 3xx status code are clearly between 200 OK and 400/500
> problem.

Even in the 3xx series, 303 is somewhat special. The HTTP spec says [2]:

| The new URI is not a substitute reference for the originally
| requested resource.

The descriptions of other redirect codes don't have such language.
The others can be understood as giving a new location for the
requested resource. 303 is indeed "See Other", it points to an
entirely different resource. In my interpretation at least.

Richard

[1] http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt
[2] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html