Re: "Hash URIs" and content negotiation

Le 8 nov. 2006 à 01:32, Alan Ruttenberg a écrit :
> On Nov 7, 2006, at 10:50 AM, Dan Brickley wrote:
>> You're very right of course, it's problematic to conneg in context
>> of such URIs. This is why I always preferred slash URIs! Ah well...
>
> Personally, I can't tell why content negotiation is a good idea in
> any context. To my mind it's hiding interesting information in the
> innards of a network protocol instead having it explicitly
> available, in say, OWL or RDF.

because there are cases where it is difficult to do in another way.
Content-Negotiation is a tough issue with many faces. It is not only
a linear list of choices, but a multi-dimensional matrix
	- languages (fr, en, ja, …)
	- format of representation (png, gif, html, …)
	- format of transport (gzip)
	- …

* Discoverability depending on formats
For example, there is no obvious linking mechanism in PNG, GIF or
JPEG to list alternate URIs of the "same" content *inside* the
content. How do I say inside a PNG, that there is a GIF version.

* Keeping up to date - Cost of management
Another issue is updating. For example, with languages, if we got
let's say a version of our HTML document in French, then it has been
translated in Japanese and Korean later on. We have to update 3 files,

    <link rel="Alternate"
          href="index.html.ja"
          hreflang="ja"
          title="Version japonaise"/>

then when we add another one, we have now to update 4 files, and so
on. It becomes very difficult to update.

* Wrong Content-Type
I was wondering how the "hash uris" proposal is working in the
context of wrong content-type sent by the server. Is there someone
who played with this a bit making cases with obviously bogus files
and then thinking about which mechanisms, we could put in place to
recover or notify of the problems

There is something missing which could help a Web site to expose its
information space map, a bit ala sitemap of Google.

* On Linking Alternative Representations To Enable Discovery And
Publishing
   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/alternatives-discovery
   TAG Finding 1 November 2006
* Transparent Negotiation - the Missing HTTP Feature
   http://www.w3.org/QA/2006/10/missing_http_feature
   QA Weblog 20 October 2006
* Google Sitemap Gen
   http://goog-sitemapgen.sourceforge.net/