Re: Interpretation of RDF reification

Hi Lars,

On Mar 22, 2006, at 9:37 PM, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> I've been trying to read the answer to this answer out of the RDF
> specs, and I think I've got it, but would like to make 100% certain.
>
> If I create an RDF node that reifies the statement
>
>   (winston, married-to, clementine)
>
> what does that node represent? Specifically, does it represent the
> *statement* that these two are married, or does it represent the
> *marriage* relationship between them? That is, if the reifying RDF
> node is x, which of the following two statements wouldn't make sense?
>
>   (x, start-date, 1908-09-02)
>   (x, according-to, wikipedia)
>
> I suspect the answer is that RDF nodes reifying statements really
> do represent the statements.

Yes. And (since I have asked this before) having the same resources
each at the subject, predicate and object property end of the
'reification statements' does not mean that two statement-reifying
nodes merge. (In TMRM speak: the set of the three properties is not a
subject identity discriminating property - if SIDP is still in the
RM, dunno)

> If that's the case, what is the usual way of meeting the other use
> case in RDF?

Make up a URI that identifies the marriage and express the properties
you want as triples with the marriage as the subject.

ex:foo rdfs:type bar:marriage
ex:foo bar:start-date "1908-09-02"
ex:foo bar:husband "Winston"
ex:foo bar:wife "Clementine"

or similar.

Ideally if you can you also implement a resource that provides
representations of the marriage if invoked with GET.

HTH,

Jan

> Thanks in advance for any answers!
>
> --
> Lars Marius Garshol, Ontopian               http://www.ontopia.net
> +47 98 21 55 50                             http://www.garshol.priv.no

Jan Algermissen, Consultant & Programmer
http://jalgermissen.com
Tugboat Consulting, 'Applying Web technology to enterprise IT'
http://www.tugboat.de